The Royal Society has announced the shortlist for its 2012 Royal Society Winton Prize for Science Books. The shortlisted books are accessible, interesting and compelling accounts about us and the world around us.
The winning book will be announced at a public event on 26 November 2012. The winning author will receive £10,000, while shortlisted authors receive £1000.
The judging panel:
- Professor Jocelyn Bell Burnell DBE FRS, Visiting Professor at the Department of Astrophysics, University of Oxford
- Jasper Fforde, Author of Thursday Next novels and The Last Dragonslayer series
- Tania Hershman, Author of short story collections, writer-in-residence at the University of Bristol and founder and editor of The Short Review
- Kim Shillinglaw, BBC Commissioning Editor for Science and Natural History
- Dr Samuel Turvey, Royal Society University Research Fellow, Institute of Zoology