The Royal Society has announced the winner of its 2012 Royal Society Winton Prize for Science Books. The £10,000 prize was awarded to James Gleick by Sir Paul Nurse, Nobel Prize-winning President of the Royal Society at a ceremony at the Society’s headquarters in London.
Shortlisted authors will receive £1000 each. The winning science book is:
The judging panel:
- Professor Jocelyn Bell Burnell DBE FRS, Visiting Professor at the Department of Astrophysics, University of Oxford
- Jasper Fforde, Author of Thursday Next novels and The Last Dragonslayer series
- Tania Hershman, Author of short story collections, writer-in-residence at the University of Bristol and founder and editor of The Short Review
- Kim Shillinglaw, BBC Commissioning Editor for Science and Natural History
- Dr Samuel Turvey, Royal Society University Research Fellow, Institute of Zoology